Monday, August 1, 2016

This Year Is Going to Rock! Back to School Notes






Back to school season is a flurry of activity at my house. August 1st signals the end of long days of sipping iced and reading novels by the pool and the beginning of back to school season. This means lesson planning, classroom decoration planning, back to school outfit shopping for 3 girls with extreme fashion preferences (one of whom has insisted on wearing Elmo rain boots all summer and another who has shunned the color pink, but likes glitter), and a visit to the mothership (Target) for school supplies. (Oh how I love the smell of a fresh box of crayons, the thrill of a new set of multi-colored pens, and the possibilities of blank notebook!)

But I save my favorite thing for last. My back to school notes are always the icing on my back to school cake. Every year I make a special note to my students and place it on their desks at open house. I started this tradition early in my career. When I was a poor first year teacher and I glued some googly eyes to (free) rocks I collected from the creek by my parents house. I topped it off with a sign attached to a toothpick that said, “I hope this year rocks!” I thought I was very clever, and hey it was the 90s, long before Pinterest and Teachers Pay Teachers revolutionized classroom cool.

Anywho, now that I have matured past free rocks from the creek. Each year I scour the Target Dollar Spot and the Dollar Tree to find the best possible gifts (for $0.50 or less per student) that they have to offer. Here are my top 5 picks:

This year is going to rock! 
This goes well with Pop Rocks candy, but if you are on an extreme budget rocks outside are free and available in your local backyard, forest or creek.



This is going to be a super year! 
This goes well with super bubble, any super hero item, or just as a cute stand alone note.



Thank you for popping in! It is going to be a great year!
If candy is a no-no at your school this is perfect with popcorn.




You are going to shine this year!
This goes perfectly with glow sticks (often found in packs of 8 for $1). 




I am bubbling with excitement to meet you!
This is fun with good old fashion bubble stuff! 



As I mentioned before these were designed with a teacher budget in mind. The gift notes can be can be downloaded for FREE here in my TPT store.




Speaking of great deals and awesome resources, be sure to check out the stores of my Planning in Paradise friends for all of your back to school needs!

Lolly's Locker features a locker full of time savers for upper elementary teachers.

The first month of school feels like... well, "it feels like HERDING cats!" If you can totally relate to this analogy ...you MUST be a Kindergarten teacher! It truly is the best job EVER - but that first month is just plain....EXHAUSTING! So be sure to check my Class of Kinders store for many time saving resources to keep things running smoothly! 



Check out Kindergarten Boom Boom for awesome K-1 resources to include in your Reading Workshop, Writing Workshop, and Math Block. Also a great place to find complete Science Units. 


Elaine has some great list making writing activities that are quick and easy for your centers!  


"K-2nd grade teachers- Want assessment made easy?  Check out the Math and Reading exit slips at LOL- Loving Our Learning!"


Help your students unleash their learning super powers with McCrone Love.





Create a classroom where CHARACTER counts with RESOURCES to foster
 independent problem solvers!   



Happy back to school shopping!








0 comments:

Post a Comment