Monday, March 16, 2015

Busy Being Awesome

Thinking outside of the box to keep your students engaged and successful can be a difficult task but I have found some unique trinkets that do the trick!
During each transition or activity I randomly choose 3 or 4 popsicle sticks that are labeled with each student’s name.   The names are not announced and are only seen by me.  I then observe the selected students during the activity.  If the student is on task and completes the activity he or she is rewarded with the trinket of the day.   If the student is off task and does not complete the activity, the student is not named and the trinket is saved for the next activity.   The trinkets remains on a student’s desk until someone else is rewarded.  All the trinkets are turned in at the end of the day.



This trinket is actually a tea bag holder.  I found this at Cracker Barrel for $1.99!!  Cracker Barrel also has some super cute holiday themed salt and pepper shakers for .99 each!  These are all ceramic but seem strong and well glazed, I have not had anything chip yet.  I also purchased some glowing eyeballs during Halloween that change colors.  They sit flat on the desks.  I use them during independent work time.  “I like what I SEE” reinforces on task behaviors and cuts down on the talking and interrupting others.  If a student works off task they can loose the eyeball.  For Patty’s Day I have used some large coins from the Dollar Tree painted gold, and for Spring I found some golden Easter Eggs at Walgreens.  They are perfect for a “Eggcellent” job.  All you have to do is add a little slip with a joke or complement and it will be such a treat!
These trinkets are not your typical brag tags or stickers.  But the rewards are the same.  They are fun and inviting.  The next time you are shopping think outside of the box and look for some unique trinkets that would work for your classroom!

Trinket Ideas & Rewards

Themed salt and pepper shakers
Small stuffed animals
Carnival Bead Necklaces
Pencils
Scented markers
Colored pencils



4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! It is such a creative alternative to candy or stickers. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! What a great idea Elaine! I know where my next shopping trip is going to be...Cracker Barrel, here I come! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glowing eyeballs idea is so cute! What a great way to recognize their efforts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these ideas…and the reason to go shopping! Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete