Tuesday, November 10, 2015

So This Is What People Think Teachers Do All Day...



This blog started out being about something else entirely, but then I started to look for clip art and pictures to go with the blog. While searching for photographs, I had to switch topics. I could not help but write about - WHAT THE HECK DO PEOPLE THINK A REAL CLASSROOM IS LIKE?!?

Here is what my unscientific, kind of snarky, research revealed. This is what people think teachers do:


Copying from book to blackboard is a highly effective and satisfying teaching strategy. Clearly, this would be impressive if my principal came in my classroom for an evaluative walk-through. 



In fact, writing on the blackboard is not even necessary. Judging from these photos, just pointing at it is clearly effective and satisfying.




Forget writing or pointing. Teachers can just sit back and allow students to teach themselves by writing on the board! By the way, the 80’s called and asked for the blackboard/greenboard back since in this century every classroom has a Smartboard or at least a dry erase board!


If writing on the blackboard (or pointing to it) is too taxing, students will enjoy lectures directly from the textbook. Look at how engaged these learners are!



Forget about blackboards. The best lessons come from the fully stocked science labs in 2nd grade (as we all know, all second grade classrooms have a full science lab). The complex chemistry lessons are THE BEST.


And sometimes teachers can just look off in the distance and sit contently as students are engaged in learning. 

If a teacher is actually teaching the class, it might have less than 10 students. These students will all be engaged by lecture and eagerly raise their hands.



And maybe even applaud!



Clearly I am doing something wrong here because this is the drawing my daughter did in PreK. She explained to me she wanted to be a teacher just like her mommy! This is how I look at the end of the day.

That is right folks, the picture above was not from a clip art site. My real life daughter drew that gem when she was in PreK. Teaching is HARD! The struggle is real.


9 comments:

  1. You hit it on the nose!! It drives me nuts that people don't see what actually goes on in the classroom or what has to take place behind the scenes so that it is a safe and highly engaging atmosphere for learning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true Alexis!!! The struggle is real and we need better pictures to prove it!!! My pictures this week would have to include vomit on 4 desks, a leaking lunchbox that created a panic, a bloody nose, and one successful attempt at pulling a pesky loose tooth! It's only Tuesday folks, stayed tuned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a week Elaine! I will stay tuned for an update!

      Delete
  3. Lol!!! My photos would included me trying to help 2 students log on to the computer to do remediation, while keeping one eye on the guided reading group I had already started - then trying to reach the ringing phone, because I somehow forgot to take the attendance. Not to mention there is a student (who should be reading just right books in their center) who is licking their shoe. Yes- happening all at the same time. We know this is 'truth' as teachers. We can't make this stuff up!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only question is, was the student licking a "just right shoe"? You can't make this stuff up, that is for sure.

      Delete
  4. Great job! I love this!!! All of the students in the photos above look extremely healthy. That is not the case in the real world. Let's see in my class this week, we have already had three cases of the dreaded fifths disease. I also had a student itching his head against a door jam because he "just has nits" Ummm.....don't they eventually hatch? Meanwhile, in the cafeteria waiting area, a few decided to tie their shoelaces together. Like Elaine said.....it is only Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The struggle is real! I also noticed if the teachers had students at all there were always less than 10!

      Delete
    2. I absolutely needed this comical read! Thank you for bringing some laughter into my lesson prep time...because the struggle is real!

      Delete