Sunday, February 7, 2016

ST. PATRICK'S DAY MATH


I love to draw.  I'm not good at it, but I like it anyway.  And when you teach first grade, you're generally a little better at it than the mini-artists around you, so you tend to feel like Michelangelo... and suddenly you're an artistic superhero. Your students think so, too.

I always make time for drawing in my classroom.  It appeals to so many kids (not all, I know, but many).  And when I can connect opportunities to draw with the standards I need to teach, I think I've done something good.  These little leprechauns were made from a directed drawing lesson.  I love how cute they are and they're as different and unique as the kids who drew them, but directed drawing lessons have educational benefits as well.  They can help strengthen many skills including:

• listening and following directions
• understanding logical sequence
• improving hand-eye coordination and fine motor development
• developing spatial awareness and perspective

Some teachers get nervous though.  It kind of goes like this, "What if someone comes into the classroom and thinks we're just drawing?"  Been there.  (Heaven forbid we might just be doing art.)  So make it standards-based.  Done.  Now it's a glyph that I can use to practice collecting, graphing, and analyzing data with the kids.

And anybody can walk in without making me sweat.

The last few steps of this particular directed drawing lesson are glyph-dependent, so although we're all drawing basically the same picture, a few of the features (the stripes, the location of the clover, and the number of pockets) depend on each child.  I've included a key in the set I made, but you could easily make a similar one on a chart, too.  (This one is a condensed version of the one in the set... less text for the little ones.)  


Once the drawings are finished, we begin collecting data using tally marks.  A bar graph has been included so the children can record the results.  And in the end, we analyze the data we collected... so much math work!  (No sweating here.)


I'd love to give some of these away to our readers.  Be one of the first TEN to leave a comment below and I'll send you the set, Lucky Leprechauns: A GLYPH & GRAPH Math Activity for St. Patrick's Day.  Don't forget to leave your email address so I know where to send it.


Happy teaching!

16 comments:

  1. What a great fun activity for st pats day! Thank you so much for posting/sharing! My students would love this. The majority of them love directed drawing :-) jac.slaughter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea-These are so awesome. I love doing glyphs, but have never really thought about combining it with a directed drawing activity. Going to have to think about how I can even connect this to my third grade standards. Love, love, love!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun activities! Thanks for this great blog post.
    Kim
    khenry22@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! My kiddos are starting data collection at the end of this month and this would go perfectly with that standard! Fantastic idea! vickidreyer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These would be so much fun to do with my students! I love how you included a directed drawing! Moran.Melissa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely adorable! Am I in the first 10?! I love your posts. They make me feel like I am right there in the room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Everyone! :) Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I just emailed the set to each of you... I hope you and your children have fun with the activity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea your drawings have always impressed me! This is a great activity! Directed drawing is a great way to help improve and monitor fine motor skills in any classroom and they always come out so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... it's so fun to see how they turn out. And (almost always), every child feels successful. They're like, "Wow... I made that!"

      Delete
  10. Fantastic! I would love this for my first graders

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable! I've never tried a Glyph but I think I'd try this one! How fun and creative and so tied into math. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable! I love doing glyphs with my 1st graders- it's te perfect balance of "fun" and learning for them :)
    Deliaculton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My students love doing glyphs. I love how you tied all the math into this, so it's not just "drawing".
    smperezbsu@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun activity. jshowalt@chisholm.k12.mn.us

    ReplyDelete